
Leopoldskron Castle was used for shooting the scenes in the back of the Trapp family villa, although you never actually see the castle itself. Some of the scenes filmed here include: Maria and the children falling out of the boat into the lake, the family drinking pink lemonade on the terrace, and Maria and the Captain arguing on the terrace. The glass gazebo was also located here at the time of the filming, but was later moved, to make it more accessible to tourists.




Here, Karol and I and the girls pose in front of the gazebo. Two songs from the movie, "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" (Liesl and Rolf) and "Something Good" (Maria and the Captain) took place in and around the gazebo. (The inside scenes were actually filmed on a Hollywood set.)
Our tour guide told us this funny story: Until a few years ago the gazebo was open and allowed tourists to go inside. However, when an 80 year old woman fell and broke her hip while jumping from bench to bench singing "I am sixteen going on seventeen", the city of Salzburg decided to permanently lock the gazebo!

This picture is taken looking down the drive that leads to Frohnburg Castle. The castle was used as the front of the Trapp family villa. Scenes that were filmed here include the scenes when Maria first arrives after singing "I Have Confidence", the tearing down of the Nazi flag by the Captain, and pushing the car across the courtyard in the family's attempt to leave at night.
The castle isn't accessible by car (or bus) so we only saw it from a distance and I didn't get a good picture of it. However, you will remember this long tree-lined drive where the Captain returned home one day to find all of his children hanging out of these trees, much to his dismay!

Our tour then took us outside of Salzburg, up to the lake district. Many of the opening scenes and aerial shots were filmed here.

The tour stopped for a while in the little town of Mondsee. This was a house that we walked by and I thought it was so picturesque! It seems as if everyone in Salzburg puts flowers in their windows!





In about any store in Salzburg, one can buy Mozart chocolate! I confess, I had my share of chocolate while I was there! So I decided I would pose with Wolfgang, as he shows off one of his chocolate balls!




No comments:
Post a Comment