Venice. What can I say? I felt as if I was walking around in a postcard all day! It is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. We could've spent days here, exploring all the narrow, winding streets and shops. But we only had a few hours, so we basically hit the highlights.
We traveled by bus to downtown Vicenza and then boarded a train to Venice. When we arrived, we boarded a vaporetto (water taxi) and traveled down the Canal Grande. Venice is built on 117 small islands and has some 150 canals and 409 bridges. There are only 3 bridges that cross the Grand Canal.

The following pictures were taken as we rode down the Grand Canal.



This is a friend of Karol's, Vanessa, who spent the day with us and served as our "tour guide."
The Rialto Bridge
Approaching Piazza San Marco
Doge's PalaceOnce the Republic's seat of power and home to its rulers, the Doge's Palace is a triumph of Gothic architecture.

The CampanileThis tower replaced the one that collapsed in 1902. The spire, which is 98.5 m (323 ft) high, is topped with a golden weather vane.
Here's a video clip of the bells ringing. (I apologize for the angle. I turned my camera length-wise and I don't have the program on my computer to edit it.)






No comments:
Post a Comment