Sunday, December 10, 2006

Storm Damage

I would like to say "thanks" to my friend, Jen Hagen, for posting the last couple of posts for me. For obvious reasons, I wasn't able to get online for quite sometime. I am posting these pics well after the fact, but I knew some would want to see the effects of Typhoon Reming, the largest storm to hit the Philippines in 150 years.
We left Legazpi about 10 days after the storm. At that point, we had just gotten water, which helped tremendously in the clean-up process. We heard that it would be after the first of the year before power was restored. At our house, there were 59 days without power. Phones were restored sometime during December or January, while we were in the States. Our computers/internet/network was restored on March 3rd and cable tv on March 27th.


This was our "waterfall" from our upstairs to the downstairs.

The waters were beginning to rise by mid-afternoon.

By late afternoon, the water finally stopped rising. At that point it was about 3 feet deep and pitch black in color. After wading to the kitchen and grabbing what food we could, we stayed upstairs for the rest of the night. The winds and rain finally died down around 8 pm.
By the next morning, the water had receded. This is how we found our downstairs.







This was the first of several burn piles. Pretty much everything that had gotten wet (and couldn't be cleaned) had to be burned.










No comments: