Thursday, September 10, 2009

Washington D.C. - Day Two - Holocaust Museum

We stopped briefly at the Holocaust Museum. For obvious reasons, the majority of this museum is not appropriate for children. However, there is one section on the lower level that has been made just for kids. The story of the Holocaust is told through the eyes of a young boy named Daniel. Even on a child's level, it's powerful.



We were not allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit. But at the end, after telling the basic story of the Holocaust, kids are given an opportunity to write letters to Daniel, expressing their feeling about all that they've just seen and heard. These pictures are of Carly and Caleb writing their letters.



Caleb putting his letter to Daniel in the mailbox

Carly's note to Daniel

This is inside the lobby area of the museum. Daniel's area is just to the right. Several years ago, Wade and I viewed the entire museum. If you are ever in D.C., I highly suggest visiting this museum. It is one of the most powerful things I have ever experienced.

No comments: