Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Unexpected Friends

6 years ago today, our family stepped off a plane onto Philippine soil to begin this new adventure in our lives. There were too many feelings and emotions wrapped up in those first few days and months that I can't even begin to express them all. Those of you who have also travelled this same road understand. But I think if there was one overwhelming feeling that I faced 6 years ago, it was one of "I've left everyone that I know and love and now who will fill in the gaps?" There was also a feeling of so desperately needing examples to look to and to follow. Yes, I know Jesus is our ultimate example, but I needed a living, breathing missionary wife who was just a little farther down the road and who would tell me about the journey. Of course, our God who knows our every need even before we do, knew exactly who would fill in the gaps. And little by little, He begin bringing these ladies into my life.


So today I would like to stop and remember these special ladies with whom my path has crossed during the last few years. Each of them is very special to me. Each of them has taught me something different. If you, the reader, will permit me, I'd like to thank each one of them personally.....


To Debbie Johnson, my American friend. You are the first friend I made in Legazpi! Thank you for stopping us in the mall that day. Thank you for inviting us to BEEF. Thank you for your love of education. Thank you for showing me that we could be very close friends, even if we come from very different backgrounds. Thank you for teaching me more about the power of prayer. You are truly a prayer warrior! I will always remember birthday dinners, double dates, the many typhoons and the eternal Risk games!! Thank you for being my friend.


To Deborah Miller, my American friend. Thank you for teaching me about plants and cats! Thank you for all the babysitting/spoiling of our kids! Thank you for putting up with my husband, even if he did remind you of your son. Thank you for all the sewing projects. Thanks for spending the night and helping me cook the Thanksgiving feast. I appreciate your love for children and children's ministry and all things visual!! I'll never forget all the meals we shared with you and Ray....especially the Mexican ones. You guys were always ready whenever we called and said, "Hey, you wanna meet for dinner?" Thank you for being my friend.


To Nana Dumitra, my Austrian friend. I'll never forget sharing my 1st "earthquake in the Philippines" experience with you! Remember, we were in Mcdo? I remember thinking that you and I were way too different to ever be close. Ha ha ha. Was I wrong! Thank for for FINALLY telling me about Flylady! (I knew you knew something that I didn't know!) Thank you for telling me about Sonlight and gently encouraging me to think "outside the box" when it came to homeschooling. Thank you for listening to me for hours upon end during my most frustrating homeschooling years. (Things are MUCH better now!) Thank you for teaching us DUTCH BLITZ!! (How late did we stay up that first night??) Thank you for introducing me to Mozart Chocolate! I will never forget our trip to Calapan, all those AWANA afternoons, many visits to McDo together, and the many trips to BeeDees. You and your blue toenails! LOL Thank you for showing me how a missionary wife should respond to adversity. And how to trust when God changes the whole course of your ministry. I will always be jealous of your speed reading! The day you left Legazpi was one of my darkest days of the last 6 years. Somehow, I knew it felt way too final when you guys stepped on that plane. I don't know if our paths will ever cross again on this earth, but if they don't, at least we'll have all of eternity to "catch up"! I miss you. Thank you for being my friend.


To Koleen French, my American/Asian friend. Thank you for welcoming us into the BEEF group. Thank you for all you did to organize that crew for so many years. Thank you for being a student first, and then teacher of this culture. I will always be impressed with your Tagalog! Thank you for teaching me about being a ministry partner with your husband. Thank you for sharing so many insights about house church planting. Thank you for making extra efforts to have Carly spend time with Junia and all the fun things you did while she was there! Cookies were always involved! Thank you for all the times you brought extra rolls to BEEF and "happened" to leave them at my house!! I'm praying for you as you and Bob are facing difficult days. Thank you for being my friend.


To Sarah McKibbon, my British friend. Thank you for telling us about a wonderful place in Manila to vacation...the Galleria! (Too bad they don't have the 3 night package anymore.) Thank you for sharing all your wonderful snake stories and teaching me that we can be content wherever God places us. Thank you for always making an effort to meet up with us as we pass through - whether it be Sorsagon City or Manila. I'll always remember all the birthday parties we shared with our kids. I pray they will always remember also! Thank you for being my friend.


To Debbie Witherow, my Canadian friend. You will always be my birthday friend! There's just something special about us October babies! I'll always remember going to the movies with Nana and us all crying though it! I am so glad my husband stopped you on the side of the road that day and we finally met this "Debbie Witherow" that we'd heard so much about. Thank you for your joyful outlook on life. I always feel uplifted and encouraged when I am around you. Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us after Reming. You knew that we needed that time to talk even if we didn't realize it. I don't know when our paths will cross again, but just know I'll be thinking of you on October 24th and wishing we could be together. Thank you for being my friend.
To Eileen Gladigau, my Australian friend. Thank you for teaching me that retirement isn't an option for Christians. Thank you for being faithful to minister to those who aren't always easy to minister to. Thank you for being a prayer warrior. I'm excited for the doors God is opening for you and Bruce. I'm also praying for you as you walk though those doors. Thank you for being my friend.
To Jen Hagen, my American friend. When you and your family moved to Bicol, you were an answer to prayer. I can never express what an encouragement you have been. Thank you for "loaning" your husband to us during our most difficult days. Thank you for making emergency phone calls to the US Embassy! Thank you for teaching us about a wonderful new product called Liquid Band-Aid! And for showing us first-hand (multiple times) how to use it! Thank you for teaching me how to be more gentle and positive with my children. Thank you for sharing Ate Larry and all those soup recipes. Even though our time together was way too short, my head and heart are full of so many memories together. Many, many days of swimming and picnics, PST, Magic Splash, movies in our room, birthdays, Gasthof's, homeschool co-op, slip-n-slides, playing games - especially the ones my husband loved, the tree house and the swing, etc. Thank you for teaching me how to blog! You will always be my blogging hero. LOL. The hardest part of leaving Bicol was leaving you guys behind. I argued with God that it wasn't fair because we didn't have enough time together. Only 15 months. He reminded me to be thankful for those 15 months. I am. I miss you tremendously and can't wait to see you Thanksgiving! Thank you for being my friend.
To Marilyn Schlitt, my Canadian friend. Although we've never lived in the same town or region, I still consider you one of my mentors in this missionary journey. Your wealth of knowledge of this culture and of communication skills amaze me. Thank you for teaching me how to better communicate the things I have experienced here. Thank you for being a wonderful roommate! Even when I walked you to death!! Thank you for encouraging and challenging me to make my heart His home. I still remember many of the things you shared with us. I will never forget the broken and cracked candle holder and how it allowed more light to shine through than the new one. You are an amazing lady and I am blessed to know you. Thank you for being my friend.
To Linda Moore, my American friend. We have way too many memories through the years to list in this post! Thank you for letting me live with you for the summer of '91, as God begin to stir in my heart a love for the Filipino people. Thank you for answering all the emails in which I asked a million questions about moving halfway around the world! Thank you for all the help you've been during the last 6 years, especially during our move to Bacolod. Thanks for helping us find a house, for feeding us when we first arrived, for letting us watch American Idol at your house, and for being a constant wealth of information concerning all things Bacolod. You know everyone in this town!! Thank you for your faithfulness as you've served alongside Uncle Doyle these 30+ years. Thank you for being my friend.
To DC, my American friend who lives too far away. It's so strange to be here in Bacolod City and you aren't here. Don't worry. We're doing our best to keep Calea in business for you! And we're loving on your dogs. Carly and Scrappy have become pretty tight! Like Aunt Linda, we go back way too far to mention on this post. Besides, I'd hate for anyone to know about the time we went rolling at 2:00 in the morning. :) It's been such an honor to serve alongside you in Hong Kong. We've shared many laughs and tears in all our trips. I have learned more from you than you'll ever know. When I grow up, I want to be like you. When you left last year, I promised you that I'd pray for you everyday. I meant that. And I will do the same this year. Thank you for being willing to leave your comfort zone and minister in a very difficult and uncomfortable place. I know God is using you there in a mighty way, even if there's not always proof. Just hang in there and keep "smelling"! Thank you for being my friend.
To Connie Murphy, my American friend, who has traveled this 6 year road with me. Although we've been on different islands, I've felt as if you were by my side the whole time. I've told you before that I couldn't imagine this journey without you. We survived those first days of jet lag and culture shock, the first weeks of culture training and living in that huge house in Dumaguete, our first Christmas and New Year's, and the first years of homeschooling. Can you believe that Carly and Jamin only have 6 more years to go? Seems like yesterday we were starting kindergarten. I can still remember our first Thanksgiving and them wearing those cute little pilgrim and Indian hats! Thank you for being a safe place where I can "vent". Thank you for being a good listener. Thank you for being my "angel" after the typhoon. You know you have a really good friend when they come and sweep mud out of your house!! (For your sake, I hope I never have to repay the favor. Of course, you know I'd be there in a heartbeat if you needed me.) I'm glad we live closer together now. I'm hoping we can see each other more often now. One island apart sure is better than 4 or 5! Thank you for being my traveling partner. Thank you for being my friend.
Thank you, God, for blessing my life by knowing all of these incredible ladies. They have enriched my life in so many ways. Thank you for bringing us from all corners of the globe to serve together in the country of the Philippines. Only an all-knowing God could orchestrate these relationships. 6 years ago, I was focused on who all I'd left behind. Little did I know what all you had planned for the future. Thank you for blessing me much more than I deserved or expected.
Several years ago, Sandy Patti recorded a song entitled "Unexpected Friends". It perfectly describes how I feel about these ladies.
When the dark closes in so hard
I can hardly see
And the walls of my fortress of faith
Crumble in on me
When it seems like the end
Not a measure of strength to spend
I feel the arms of a stranger rescue me
Chorus:
With some unexpected friends
Never asking where I've been
Just a hand of mercy and words of love
Call me back again
Oh, it feels like home
With unexpected friends
A soothing balm for the wounds I suffer along the way
A fervent prayer giving courage and hope for another day
Through the help of my friends
Ones I may never see again
Seem like angels that were sent by heaven for me

3 comments:

The Hagens said...

I was blessed when i read your post and was reminded of all the people that God has brought into my life to be special friends on this journey. Your friendship has meant the world to me too, and it was so hard to watch you guys get on that plane and leave Bicol. We miss you guys like crazy and can't wait to see you guys at T-giving! Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

My life is rich because of friends like you. You have a rich heritage as I do and I certainly feel a kindred spirit in you. Thanks for affirming our freindship.
Love, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Wow...that was incredibly sweet...and it was neat to see how God has placed certain ladies in your life in the last 6 yrs to help you, encourage you, and be your friend to help you through this journey. I am so honored to be one of those. The feelings are mutual!!! I love you Joanna.....see you next month, hopefully :) Connie